Macpherson Apartments, Bethnal Green
In partnership with Bethnal Green Mission Church, Thornsett completed this award-winning development of 15 apartments and church/youth/community facilities a stones throw from Bethnal Green tube station. The small site footprint has been efficiently utilised to replace a former 1950's building which had fallen into disrepair. Located in the centre of the Bethnal Green Gardens Conservation Area, the scheme is surrounded by listed buildings, including the V&A Museum of Childhood and St John at Bethnal Green. The project also sees the revitalisation of Paradise Gardens to the front of the development, with a new route running through it to increase public use. Construction completed in July 2018.
Benefits for Client
- New state-of-the-art church and community space
- New vicarage
- New café and office space
- 15 apartments including a new vicarage
- New church, community space and café
- Gross Development Value: £10m
- Exposed concrete to church and offices
- RIBA London 2019 award winner
- Scandinavian inspired interior design for the apartments.